Saturday, April 9, 2011

Good morning, Richmond!

So RavenCon is as excellent as usual. 
The steampunk panel I moderated went well. I did learn some things myself.  I have to decide about how much of the "icky" part of the Victorian world I want to mention.  Laurel Anne Hill also pointed something out about steam power - to make 1 horsepower of steam; you need 47 lbs of water.  So I probably need to do a little research on the steambuses of England and make sure my double decker is reasonable.  Ditto with Airships.  
The interesting challenge in writing in a steampunk world is how to describe the tech without it dominating the story.  Particularly since my novel is basically a simple mystery novel set in Steampunk Victorian England.  I think making clear it's an alternate history where some things work and somethings were never discovered is going to be important in the long range.
Differed the Geek parenting panel to James so I could go spend time with the Geeklet.  Then it was back to the New authors mistakes panel w/ Mike Ventrella and Laurel Anne Hill.  Mike had it organized very well and did a great job of keeping it on topic, yet covering a lot of information in a limited amount of time.   We started by talking about writer mistakes:  pov, talking heads, show don't tell, etc.  Then we moved on to the aspects of getting published - query letters, being polite, don't self-publish.  I hope we gave some good advice.
Then it was out to Friday's for a lovely dinner with EB.  Then back to put the Geeklet to bed. 
She got is up early this morning, so I've had time to check the email, make some notes on the outline and write here.   Then it's off to breakfast and back down to the convention.

"Fly by Night away from here, change my life again."
(Rush - Fly by Night)

No comments:

Post a Comment