Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Talking to yourself/about yourself

So I was reading an article about writers and their blogs.  The author had several points but the one I thought was nifty was his comment that the writing needed to be interesting.  Even blog posts needed to be about something.  Given that this blog in particular is dedicated to the trials and tribulations of writing my first novel, I thought I'd take this post to give a bit of background.  Not the official bio type stuff but more the "real-life" person.

First up, I'm a wife and mother.  My husband and I have been married since 2000.  We'd dated for about 5 years before that so we've been together a bit.  One of the things I appreciate about him is that even though he gets the short end of the stick when it comes to cons (by default, he becomes Keeper of the Geeklet), he still encourages me to write.   That support is pretty critical especially when I start getting stalled like I am now.  My daughter, said Geeklet, is 3, almost 4.   And while she is an amazingly good girl, and has been to more cons than most kids her age, she doesn't always get that sometimes Mommy needs to write.   And when she says "Mommy, I need your "tention," I don't want to pass up that time with her. 

Second, I work a full-time job.  I am the Employee Relations Coordinator for a manufacturing company.  This, of course, means that any writing I do does not normally happen between the hours of 8am and 5pm unless it's lunch or an incredibly slow day.

Third, I have way too many other commitments.  I'm a Pirate re-enactor and I play D&D, which is kind of the one regular social activity I get.  Rarely, I'm also a costumer - and have belonged/belong to groups like the 501st and the HMA Titania, a steampunk costuming group.  I also like to read and watch a few TV shows.  I'm the coordinator of most of our get-togethers, holidays, trips, etc.    We are also contemplating, very loosly, the idea of starting another con...which means that in addition to everything else, I'm trying to work on that.  It's kind of stalled right now through and I don't know if I'll be able to do anything until after the new year.  All of which take up time that I could be using writing.

Lastly, there are the things about life that take up time.  Paying Bills, cleaning house, trying to exercise regularly and visiting with the family.  We're trying to declutter our lives and it's incredibly time consuming and heart-breaking at the same time.  This weekend, I threw away my cap and hood from Greensboro College.  I don't need it.  It's been sitting in a box for the last 15+years.   I'd rather keep things that are truly important...like the cross-stich of me and a dog from the Italian landlord we stayed with when I was 2.  But the decluttering is a massive project.  It's amazing how much stuff we've accumulated in just 10 years.  And I know I need to be more ruthless in letting things go but it's been a bit of a challenge as is just finding time to go through things. 

So given all that, it is no wonder that I'm having trouble keeping my BIC (Butt in chair!).

You know how that rabbit feels/Going under your speeding wheels
Bright images flashing by/Like windshields towards a fly
Frozen in the fatal climb/But the wheels of time
Just pass you by

Between the Wheels, Rush

No comments:

Post a Comment