Saturday, March 23, 2013

The Soundtracks of our Life

Or in this case the soundtrack of a series...  I've never been one to "hear" songs for characters in story.   Until recently...

The new series I am working on is basically a paranormal retelling of the Arthurian legend.  My main character (Morgan) is the lots of greats - grand daughter of Morgan Le Fey and Merlin.   That being said...the story has a slight twist in so much as the other main character who may or may not end up as Morgan's soulmate, is the devil, or.. a devil, anyway.

Now...that all being said...I've started hearing a soundtrack for this story.

It all got started out of Bon Jovi's "One Wild Night" - which is the song that gave me the inspiration for the concept.  That song now represents Morgan's acceptance of her powers/history and her place in the prophecy (ie storyline.)

Lyrical sample:
It's a hot night, the natives are restless 
We're sweating by the light of the moon 
There's a voodoo mojo brewing at the go-go 
That could knock a witch off her broom 

Then as I was driving into work yesterday, I heard Rush's Losing It...which I realized is the Devil's theme song.

Some are born to move the world
To live their fantasies
But most of us just dream about
The things we'd like to be
Sadder still to watch it die
Than never to have known it
For you, the blind who once could see
The bell tolls for thee...

Now I've always been a fan of music....several of my favorite quotes from songs are put together in a collage that I post over my desk at work...it helps inspire me.   But this is the first time that songs have started attaching themselves to characters and moments in a story.  It's a bit strange.


This is the story of my life/And I write it everyday
I know it isn't black and white/And it's anything but grey
I know that no I'm not alright, but I feel ok cos 
Anything can, everything can happen/That's the story of my life

~Story of My Life, Bon Jovi

No comments:

Post a Comment